Data Management & Collections Group
Research Associate/Data Archivist
Area: Data Intensive Computing
Maria earned her Ph.D. in Information Science from The University of Texas at Austin. Her research focus is digital archives and digital preservation. She now works for the Texas Advanced Computing Center as a Research Associate/Data Archivist in the Visualization and Data Analysis group. Her role involves developing scientific data collections, implementing digital archiving and preservation strategies for scientific data-sets, and the use of information visualization as a tool for archival processing.
Prior to joining TACC, Maria was an assistant instructor in the UT Austin School of Information. She also worked as a graduate research assistant in the UT Austin Digital Library Services Division where she worked in a variety of areas including text encoding, metadata, institutional repository implementation, and image collections.
- Digital Archiving and Preservation
- Digital Archaeology
- Information Visualization
- Maria Esteva (2007). Preservation of a Natural Electronic Archive. Proceedings of the Imaging Science and Technology Archiving 2007 Conference. Arlington, Virginia, May 21 - 24, (pp. 67-70).
- Maria Esteva (2007) Text and Bitstreams: Appraisal and Preservation of a Natural Electronic Archive. In Richard Pearce-Moses and Susan Davis (Eds.), Proceedings of the Colloquium New Skills for the Digital Era. Washington D.C, 31 May – 2 June 2006. Available as an ePublication at the Society of American Archivists website: www.archivists.org/publications/epubs/NewSkillsForADigitalEra.pdf
- Maria Esteva, Anne Marie Donovan, Patricia Galloway, Addy Sonder & Sue Trombley (2004). Archival Appraisal, Websites and DSpace. Proceedings of the Imaging Science and Technology Archiving 2004 Conference. April 20 - 23, 2004, (pp. 66-70).
- ASIS&T, Annual Meeting, October 2008, Presentation accepted, Formation Process and Preservation of a Natural Electronic Archive.
- Future Directions in Preservation Symposium: Preservation Education in the 21st Century. Library of Congress, May 2008, Participant by invitation.
- Appraisal in the Digital World, Academia Nazionale dei Lincei and DELOS NoE Conference, November 2007, Rome Italy. Presentation, Appraisal of a Natural Electronic Archive.
- Digital Humanities 2007, 19th Joint International Conference of the Association for Computers and the Humanities and the Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing, June 2007. Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. Presentation, Bits and Pieces of Text: Appraisal of a Natural Electronic Archive.
- Ph.D. School of Information, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.Sc. in Information Studies, and Certificate of Advanced Studies in Preservation Administration, School of Information, The University of Texas at Austin
- B.S. in Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina