Kelly Gaither, Ph.D.
Director of Visualization
Groups: Scalable Vis Technologies; Vis Interfaces & Applications
ROC 1.520, ACES 2.340
Kelly joined TACC as Associate Director in September 2001. She is now the Director of Visualization. She received her doctoral degree in Computational Engineering from Mississippi State University in May 2000, and received her masters and bachelors degree in Computer Science from Texas A&M University in 1992 and 1988 respectively. She has over thirty refereed publications in fields ranging from Computational Mechanics to Supercomputing Applications to Scientific Visualization. She has given a number of invited talks. Over the past ten years, she has actively participated in conferences related to her field, specifically acting as general chair in 2004 of IEEE Visualization.
Areas of Research
- Scientific and Information Visualization
- Large Data Visualization
- Large Scale Visualization Clusters and Tiled Displays
- User Interface Technologies for Large Scale Tiled Displays
- Enabling Transformational Science and Engineering Through Integrated Collaborative Visualization and Data Analysis for the National User Community
- SCOREVIS: Scalable, Collaborative and Remote Visualization Software
I. Woo, R. Maciejewski, K. Gaither, and D. Ebert, "Feature-driven Data Exploration for Volumetric Rendering," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, to appear, 2012.
R. Maciejewski, Y. Jang, I. Woo, H. Janicke, K. Gaither, and D. Ebert, "Abstracting Attribute Space for Transfer Function Exploration and Design," submitted to IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2011.
Y. Jang, D. Ebert, and K. Gaither, "Time-Varying Data Visualization using Functional Representations," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, to appear 2011.
Y. Jang, D. Ebert and K. Gaither, "Time-Varying Data Visualization Using Functional Representations," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, to appear 2011.
C. Harrison, H. Childs, and K. Gaither, "Data-Parallel Mesh Connected Components Labeling and Analysis," Proceedings of EGPGV 2011.
E. W. Bethel, J. van Rosendale, D. Southard, K. Gaither, H. Childs, E. Burgger, and S. Ahern, "Visualization at Supercomputing Centers: The Tale of Little Big Iron and the Three Skinny Guys," IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications Vis Viewpoints, January 2011.
- N. Svakhine, Y. Jang, D. Ebert, K. Gaither, T. Ertl, and E. Tejada-Gamero, "System and Method for Rendering Flows and Volumes," Patent Application Number 11/811,325, June 2007 – Awarded February 14, 2012.
Organization Membership/Professional Affiliations
- Program Committee - IEEE Vis, EuroVis, SC 13
- ACM, SIGGRAPH, IEEE Computer Society, VGTC
- Ph.D., Computational Engineering, Mississippi State
- M.S., Computer Science, Texas A&M University
- B.S., Computer Science, Texas A&M University