Karl Schulz, Ph.D.
Director of Scientific Applications
Group: Life Sciences Computing
Karl joined TACC in August of 2003 as a Research Associate and is now Director of Scientific Applications. Before coming to TACC, Dr. Schulz worked as a Senior Project Engineer of Advanced Methods Developments at CD-adapco Group, a software/engineering services company. His responsibilities there included parallel mesh generation, flow-chemistry coupling, aftertreatment modeling, CAD surface reconstruction, and general CFD software development, support, and training.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Flow-Structure Interaction
- Parallel Algorithms
- Domain Decomposition
- Large Scale Cluster Architectures
- Performance Optimization
- Unstructured Meshing
- Climate, Ocean, and Weather Modeling
- Department of Defense PET Program
- Climate, Weather, and Ocean Academic Point-of-Contact
- Performance Optimization of COAMPS
- NSF: TeraGrid, Petascale HPC System
P.W. Bearman, J.R. Chaplin, E. Fontaine, J.M.R. Graham, K. Herfjord, A. Lima, J.R. Meneghini, K.W. Schulz, and R.H.J. Willden, "Comparison of CFD Predictions of Multi-Mode Vortex-Induced Vibrations of a Tension Riser with Laboratory Measurements", In Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on FSI, AE & FIV: ASME PVP Division Summer Meeting Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 23 - 27, 2006. Shirley Cohen, Patrick Hurley, Karl W. Schulz, William L. Barth, and Brad Benton, "Scientific Formats for Object-Relational Database Systems: A Study of Suitability and Performance", ACM SIGMOD Record, Vol. 35. No. 2, June 2006. Karl W. Schulz, Tommy Minyard, and William Barth, "Three-Dimensional CFD Analysis of Two Circular Cylinders Arranged Perpendicular to Each Other", In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Halkidiki, Greece, June 2005. Karl W. Schulz and Trond Meling, "VIV Analysis of a Riser Subjected to Step and MultiI-Directional Currents", In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Halkidiki, Greece, June 2005. Karl W. Schulz, Glenn Van Knowe, Matt Alonso, and Kenneth Waight, "Integration of the WRF Model into the Advanced Climate Modeling and Environmental Simulations Program", In Proceedings of the DoD User's Group Conference, Nashville, TN, June 2005. Karl W. Schulz and Trond S. Meling, "Multi-Strip Numerical Analysis for Flexible Riser Response", In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, June, 2004.
Karl W. Schulz, Kent Milfeld, Chona Guiang, Avijit Purkayastha, Tommy Minyard, John R. Boisseau, and John Casu, "Batch System Deployment on a Production Terascale Cluster", Proceedings of the 5th LCI International Conference on Linux Clusters: The HPC Revolution, Austin, Texas, May, 2004.
Purkayastha, C. Guiang, T. Minyard, K. Schulz, K. Milfeld, W. Barth, and J. Boisseau. "Performance Characteristics of Dual Processor HPC Systems Based on 64-bit Commodity Processors," Proceedings of the 5th LCI International Conference on Linux Clusters: The HPC Revolution 2004, Austin, Texas, May, 2004.
Organization Membership/Professional Affiliation
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Speaking Engagements/Conference Participation
- SAE World Congress
- Offshore Technology Conference (OTC)
- Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) International Conference
- AIAAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting
- Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction (DEER) Conference
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Texas at Austin