Everyone should experience a tour of TACC's computer machine rooms, visualization laboratory, and other facilities that support TACC supercomputers. Discover the benefits of advanced computing in your everyday life.
TACC staff will customize tours to meet the needs of all audiences:
- K-12 students and teachers- educational tours provide an overview of TACC services and resources, exposure to career opportunities in STEM fields with an emphasis in advanced computing, and an interactive learning experience.
- Undergraduate and graduate students- learn about TACC visualization services, training, and research opportunities.
- Industry partners- VIP tours are available for TACC users or prospective affiliates.
- Walk-ins- the TACC/ACES Visualization Laboratory (Vislab) welcomes small groups (1-5 people), Monday-Friday from 10am-3pm. Ask the proctor on duty for a 10-minute overview. Please note: If the laboratory is in use during time of your visit, you may be asked to schedule a tour or return at a later time.
Types of Tours
TACC Data Center - The J.J. Pickle Research Campus houses TACC's largest supercomputing systems, including Stampede, the newest supercomputer approaching 10 Petaflops, Longhorn, a 512-GPU visualization system, Lonestar 4, a 302 Tflop Dell-Intel cluster, and a Green Revolution mineral-oil cooled system. These are some of the fastest, most efficient, and sought-after systems in the world!
TACC/ACES Visualization Laboratory - Located on UT Austin's Main Campus in the ACES Building, the TACC/ACES Visualization Laboratory (Vislab) is a showcase of the technologies that are used to support researchers as they turn their simulations into visually appealing, scientifically significant images. These tours are popular amongst K-12 and undergraduate students who engage hands-on with Lasso, a multi-touch screen, and Stallion, the world's highest resolution tiled display.
How to Schedule a TACC Tour
Depending on the size of your group, the facilities you wish to tour, and the type of presentation you wish to see, tours can be arranged to suit your group's needs. Tours are available Monday-Friday (Fridays only for K-12) between 10:00am and 3:00pm. We can comfortably accommodate groups of 25 or less. Larger groups require additional preparation and planning. Please schedule your tour at least two weeks in advance. Duration of tour: 45-60 minutes.
Send an email to Rosalia Gomez, Community Outreach Coordinator, with the following information:
- Name and contact information of the group's leader/organizer
- Name of group, school, or organization
- Number, and age range or grade level, of those in the group
- Purpose of visit
- Preferred date(s)/time of tour
- Type of tour – Machine Room or Visualization Laboratory (Vislab)
Teachers: include your current TEKS.